This project work derived into the cause and effect of labor crisis in local government administration, information was obtain for through the use of primary source of data collections, the method of sampling used for this population was simple random sampling (probability sampling). A simple percentage method of statistical analysis was also used for analyzing the data. From the data analyzed, some findings were arrived at among which were the fact that salary irregularity in the local government causes labor unrest and that labor unrest leads to low productivity and poor service delivery. In order to overcome these problem some recommendations were made which include the need to have sale regularity paid and review on regular basis.
- Background of the study
Labor management unrest has become common feature of Nigeria organization in recent past especially in the public sector organization including local government. Available records have shown even in their respective organization conflicts exist between labor and management in the past decades. The one in the present dispensation particularly as from 1990s appears to be more frequent while it is expected that labor and management should work harmoniously together for the achievement of common goals. This expectation is not always fulfilled in the real life, it is so because in most cases labor and management tends to have divergence views. However, these divergences arise from the different expectation of the two parties. Taking specifically about the local government, the labor management conflicts is exacerbated by the recent development in the local government. The more likely to local likely, dwindling “Syndromes) allocation to local government which culminated in zero allocation syndromes which has led to nonpayment of no salaries for up to 9-12 months of this has heightened the labor crises in the local government, the nature of financial management in the local government in the face of the ever binding resources worsen the situation as the political office holders appears no to employee. The foregoing situations have caused labor management crises over the years. Hence this study is out to find out in details the causes and consequences of conflict on both the local government as an organization and employment with the view of carrying out investigation on the findings.
- STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
In any organization, crises are the number one enemy. This is true because no meaningful achievement can be recorded in the face of crises or unrest, it is however, disturbing that management labor relation in the local government councils in Nigeria has been strains all these year especially since the beginning of the democratic government on May, 29 1990 to date. Studies carryout by many social scientist have indicates that productivity in the local government has not been efficient due to labor unrest. This situation is very dangerous, it allow continuing vehicle unchecked because as we know local government is the closest level of local government to the people. So the absence of tranquility between labor and management will highly affect this development of the entire society. This is carried out to check the problem.
- OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The main objective of this study is to analyze the causes and effect of labor unrest in local government administration while the specific objectives are:
- To ascertain the causes of labor unrest
- To ascertain the consequences of labor unrest in the local government.
- To identify the effect of labor unrest on the development unrest in our local government.
- To know that recruitments process can lead to labor unrest in our local government.
- To find our and suggest the possible solutions or ways to reduce if not to eliminate labor unrest in Nigeria local government.
- RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
H0: there are no causes of labor unrest
H1: there are causes of labor unrest
H02: there are no consequences of labor unrest in the local government.
H2: there are consequences of labor unrest in the local government.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This significant of this study will include the following:
- This study is of great relevant to the management of the local government as it will help to know the causes and consequences of the frequent ‘crises’ conflict between labor and management in the local government and how to guide such crises.
- It will also be of immense importance to the labor leaders in the local government as it will educate them on the causes and effect of labor crises in the local government not only on the local government but on them (employees) as stake holders in the local government.
- Again, this study will also be of great benefit to structure and researchers as the findings and recommendations would serve as a good reference to them for further studies where it is needed.
- Specifically, it will help public administration student who would likely be one of the local government administrators to know the strategies that would embark on to avoid this conflict beforehand.
SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The scope of the study covers causes and effect of labor unrest in the Nigeria local Government system. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
- a) AVAILABILITY OF RESEARCH MATERIAL: The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
- b) TIME: The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
- c) Organizational privacy: Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities.
DEFINITIONS OF TERMS
CONFLICT: According to Kattenbach, Etal (1993) defined conflict as the struggle or contest between people with opposing needs ideas beliefs values or goals.
UNEMPLOYMENT: By Adekunle Aromolaran (1979) in his book modern economic for West African, defined unemployment is regard as the greater proportion of the introduction heads.
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: By Micheal Tadoro (1982-407) is an increase in living standard improvement in self esteemed needs and freedom oppression as well as a greater choice.
MANAGEMENT: Nwosu (1996) sees management as that art and science of using available resources men, money, material and machinery to achieve organization goals.
CAPITALISM: Max Breber (2002) sees capitalism as the ideas and spirit that favor the rational pursuit of economic gem.
LABOUR UNREST: According to Arnesen and Eric (2007) defined that labor unrest as a term used by employers or those generally in the business community to described organizing and strike action undertaken by labor unions especially where labor disputes become violent.
CAUSESE: According to web finance defined cause as an action or occurrence that brings about a change, effect reaction or results or provides grounds for initiating a legal proceeding.
LABOUR: According to Akriari (2010) labor is an ability to work. Labor is a broad concept because it includes both physical and internal labor or labor is a primary or human factory of production, it indicates human resources.
1.8 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study. Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature. Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study. Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding. Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study.
This material content is developed to serve as a GUIDE for students to conduct academic research
CAUSES AND EFFECT OF LABOUR UNREST IN THE NIGERIA LOCAL GOVERNMENT SYSTEM>
A1Project Hub Support Team Are Always (24/7) Online To Help You With Your Project
Chat Us on WhatsApp » 09063590000
DO YOU NEED CLARIFICATION? CALL OUR HELP DESK:
09063590000 (Country Code: +234)
YOU CAN REACH OUR SUPPORT TEAM VIA MAIL: [email protected]
09063590000 (Country Code: +234)