Over the years allocation of course, their credit units and departmental timetable have been growing from one stage to another and similarly, the procedures and routine embarked on every semester coupled with the departmental growth compounded the problem of manual allocation of courses their units and thereby delays the registration procedures because some students paying extra fees as payment that is demanded in addition to the usual charge for registering their courses late, as late payment but computerization or automation of courses, their credit units allocation and departmental time table provide the most effective reliable and quickest services required by the students. Basically, before the invention of computers, computation were done manually, but in the case of the departmental course, their credit units and departmental timetable, computer has caused accelerated progress especially the automation of departmental courses their credit units and departmental time table. Computer technology has been accepted as an indispensable innovation in most fields of human endeavour in which departmental courses is not an exception.
Hence, the efficiency of an organization or establishment would be achieved if they embark on computer-based system. However, using an automated system in place of the manual system, a change that is going on in Adekunle Ajasin University departmental course registration procedure. It will make the practical insinuation of high technology. This will enframe the time needed for processing of departmental courses and attend to other subsequent information needed by the management system. The importance of this research is so prominent with the current of processing the departmental courses and suggest a complete efficient and reliable approach that will be of immense benefit to most higher institutions in general especially to Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko.
Actually, this would go a long way to improve their services by exposing and creating awareness of computer applications.
1.1 Statement Of The Problem
Since established in 1999, Adekunle Ajasin University comprises of six schools among which is the school of science (which house the Computer Science Department), the other schools have problems, One of which was late allocation of courses and credit units to enable the students finish their registration process and have foresight of what the semester would look like. It was studied and discovered that automation of departmental courses and the manual system of allocation of courses, their credit units usually waste a lot of time and paper even pen can be reduced on the process of arranging it and also improve upon removing such problems. Below are some of the problems in this system.
- It delays students’ registration process.
- It results to high cost of data processing each semester.
- It wastes much paper and make filling of form cumbersome.
- It delays other departmental duties that are also important.
- It results to inefficiency of course allocation.
Because of these setbacks, computer science department has continued to leave activities untended to by the head of department because of volume of work left for him to do alone.
1.3 Significance Of The Study
Definitely, the complete implementation of this work will be introduced as a trend in the present method of allocating courses their credit units and departmental time table, the change would in-doubt make the management and students happier, such changes envisage will include the following:
- The high cost incurred by the management in buying of papers, pens, pencils, makers, measuring ruler etc the clerical duties involves in course allocation and department time table will be reduced drastically because the hard disk, floppies, tapes would be used instead of the above mentioned.
- The time involved in allocating and re-allocating which normally results to delay will be reduced.
- Students would then utilize their time efficiently during the registration of course.
- Automated System would also serve as a reference file for the students and staff since the course, credit units, time table and lecturers in charge of all.
- The research work is also significant because it is based on the award of Master Degree in Information Technology to the researcher however, its significant can only be envisaged better when it is implemented, evaluated, and maintained to be running in the computer, such as in computer Science Department, from where other departments can
1.4 Scope And Limitation Of The Study
This study is aimed at finding out how the use of automated system can help in course allocation in the computer science department of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko.
The study covered only the department of computer science due to some limitations of the researcher to extend the research to other departments within the school of science, let alone other schools in the Institution, the constraints are as follows:
- Finance: Fund for running around for the data required was in short supply and consequently hindered further research.
- Time Constraints: Due to the required completion time of this research work, it was not possible to extend the research to other departments.
- Complexity: Meanwhile extending the research to all department within the institution would lead to complexity and complication resulting to unreliability of research.
- Background of The Course study
Adekunle Ajasin University was established by Chief Adebayo Adefarati in 1999 which has a retrospect effect from 2nd September, 2001. Its location is the former premises of Oroke High School, Akungba-Akoko, along Akungba – Ikare Road, Akungba-Akoko, Ondo State. The degree programme commences in the year 2001 while the Masters and P.hd programme commenced in the year 2005.
It’s administration made it possible for it to comprise of six schools, they are as follows:
- School of Science
- School of Agriculture
- School of Law
- School of Social and Management Science
- School of Humanities
- School of Environmental Studies
The schools are made up of Departments, which offers various Degrees, Masters and diplomas programmes respectively. The department of computer Science, a sub department of school of science offers various courses leading to Bachelor of Science programme to its students. Hence, the department of computer science is chosen so that any successful achievement records on this work (research) can easily be transferred to their departments within the institutions, the staff of the department comprise of the following.
- Dean of school (DOS)
- Head of Department (HOD)
- Chief Technologist
- Assistant technologist
- Laboratory Attendants
- Office Assistance (Messengers)
1.6 Definition Of Terms
In this chapter being the first chapter of this project work certain terms relating to this research work which may look very irrelevant to some people from other discipline are defined underneath.
- Automation: The conversion of manual system to machine (Computer) based system
- Computer: It is a machine mainly an electronic device which accepts the data as an input, process the data and generate the result as an output.
- Credit Unit: This is the number of hour, practical or tutorial or allocated weeks for each course in each semester.
- Head of Department: The “Head” as the name implies the controller or director even the person at the hem of affair in the
- Dean of school: This is the person that co-ordinate all the departments in the faculty.
- Technologist: This is the technological craft man that can dissemble and re-assemble any technical device or machine.
- Course: every programme in each department based on arrangement in which course are evaluated in terms of credit A course consists of a certain number of hours for lecturers, students contact devoted to study in a circumscribed area of the program. This include lecturers, tutorial; seminar/workshop period. Some related course which is closely to it may be considered too wide to be, are usually broken down into two or more courses, each one having it’s own designated number of credit hours.
This material content is developed to serve as a GUIDE for students to conduct academic research
AUTOMATED DEPARTMENTAL COURSE ALLOCATION AND TIME TABLE FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE IN ADEKUNLE AJASIN UNIVERSITY, AKUNGBA-AKOKO>
A1Project Hub Support Team Are Always (24/7) Online To Help You With Your Project
Chat Us on WhatsApp » 09063590000
DO YOU NEED CLARIFICATION? CALL OUR HELP DESK:
09063590000 (Country Code: +234)
YOU CAN REACH OUR SUPPORT TEAM VIA MAIL: [email protected]
09063590000 (Country Code: +234)