This research work was aimed at finding out the effect of divorce on the academic performance of students in some selected secondary schools in Egor L.G.A., Benin City.
The purpose of this research is to identify the problems of divorce and its effects on the academic performance of students in secondary schools. In pursuance of this study, certain problems which require solutions were identified and they are:
- Students from broken homes suffer a lot of psychological and emotional problems.
- Insecurity and unruly attitude of step parents of these students lead them to steal items that do not belong to them in school.
- Parents should teach the family on sound foundation of love, mutual understanding and good planning in order to bring up children who will be useful to themselves and to the society.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Chapter one: introduction
Background to study
Statement of problems
Purpose of study
Significance of study
Scope of study
Limitation of study
Definition of terms
Chapter two: Literature review
Theoretical basis of the causes of divorce
Divorce and the future of the family
Chapter three: methodology
Source of data
Population and sample
Instrument for collecting data
Validation of data
Reliability of the instrument
Method of data collection
Data analysis techniques
Analysis of data
Summary, findings, recommendations and conclusions
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The marriage of a youth in ancient society was parts of the responsibilities of his parents. The young man had no choice as to the choice of wife. In some cases a wife was married to him at a time. He could not accept to keep a wife. And all maintenance was done by the parents. Such marriages were regarded to be sacred and respected by the spouses. Parents were unnecessarily getting as to where their son was going to get his wife from.
Marriages arranged by parents on the basis of family friendship ties rarely broke up in the past. Divorce which is the legal ending of marriage was also very rare in the past, because of the penalty associated with proven fidelity and the fear offending elders of both families. In Nigeria, there are clearly defined types of marriage. We have the church or statutory marriage, those performed at mosques and marriage constituted according to native law and customs of any ethnic group.
One of the purposes of marriage is to have children and establish a family. When these children eventually arrive, they are regarded as blessing from God and they become both social and economic assets to their parents. The family this time needs a home to live in and feel secured. Thus, home becomes a place where children are nurtured to become responsible to both themselves and the society in general. Such a home should be built on love, rust, mutual understanding and good planning to be able to met its universal goals. In a situation where love and understanding is lacking, such a home becomes filled with crack and fissures. Also, tension and anxiety becomes the order of the day. Thus intimately may result in divorce therefore become a personal misfortune for either of the spouse in any society. Although it may be considered as a universal escape for the inevitable tension in marriage.
Divorce is actually a legal dissolution of the marital union which, involve the governance of the marriage bind between a husband and his wife.
For a marriage to be successful there is the need for the couple to be in harmony mentally, physically and spiritually. In other words, the husband and the wife must have a common goal and each have to contribute his or her own towards the fulfillment in the family and the key word should be love.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
There are many problems with divorce or broken homes which at the long run reflect on the performance of children in schools. Some of these problems are;
- There is increase in domestic work and redistribution of household chores, which leaves the children with little or no time for their studies
- In security, step parent do not show much love and affection to their step children. Thus, these children suffer from mental retardation, personality improvement and are always miserable. They show behavioral responses like lying, stealing, building and playing truant in school.
- Also, it has been observed that children from broken homes suffer some other problems such as non-provision of some basic material needs like non-provision of some basic materials needs like food, clothing and learning material etc.
- Greeting of a gap on the children’s existence because there is no adult to guide and direct their behavior and desires as children learn by limitation.
In view of this, the researcher is forced to wonder whether extra-relationship and financial problem could lead to broken home, and if broken homes, are they causes of decrease in the performance of children in schools. In that, a closer look at the turn out of secondary school graduates these days reveals a lot of half-cooked, half-boiled and half-baked scholars academically, socially and otherwise.
PURPOSE OF STUDY
The researcher is interested in the study of causes, problems and effects of divorce or broken homes in the performances of children in schools because of the present decrease children’s performance in schools which is giving much concern to most Nigerians as to where we are heading to. In view of this, this study is geared towards identifying the causes and problem of broken homes and the effects on the performance of children in some selected secondary schools in Oredo local government area. Also, to educated married couples and the general public of the consequences of divorce and or broken homes on the children and to encourage them to live harmoniously in order to bring up children who will successfully fit into the society and become useful to themselves and finally make necessary recommendations.
SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
It is hoped that findings from this study will enrich programmes of teaching social studies. The researcher is interested in the study of effect of divorce on the performance of children in schools because whatever happens in the home has a bearing therefore necessary to educate the youngsters who are yet to marry about the problems and causes of divorce and their consequences on the children. It will also make youngsters to be discriminative in their choice of mate. Findings from this study will and building from parent who have thought divorce in the understanding of the problem experienced by their parent and give them assurance about their children.
The following research questions are therefore formulated:
- What are the causes of divorce on the child’s education in Oredo local government area?
- What are the problems of divorce on the academic performance of students?
- Does divorce has any effect on the academic performance of students
- Do couples realize that problem in marriage can lead to divorce?
- Does psychological and emotional disturbance lead to academic and social backwardness of students in schools?
- Does security and unruly attitude of stepmothers to students from broken homes lead them to steal in school?
- Does lack of encouragement on the part of step parents contribute to academic backwardness of students?
- Do children from broken homes opportune to plan their future career with their sponsors?
- Are couples aware that problems associated with divorce can affect their children and the society?
- What are the factors that can lead to divorce?
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
Adolor College, Oredo Girls College, Idia college, Immaculate conception college, Emotan College would be sampled concerning the cause and problem of divorce and its effects on the child’s education.
LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
In the course of the research in findings the causes and problem of divorce and its effect on the child’s education in Oredo local government area of Edo State, there were some problems that were encountered time and materials constraint, uncooperative attitude of respondent and unfavourable climate condition.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Family: A group of persons, two or more related by blood, marriage or adoption residing together; all such persons are considered as members of one family
Marriage: union of man woman as husband and wife.
Couple: two persons seen together as husband and wife.
Divorce: put an end to a marriage by law of husband or wife sexually outside matrimonial home.
This material content is developed to serve as a GUIDE for students to conduct academic research
A STUDY OF THE PROBLEMS OF DIVORCE AND ITS EFFECT ON THE EDUCATION OF THE CHILD: (A CASE STUDY OF SOME SELECTED SCHOOLS IN OREDO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA).>
A1Project Hub Support Team Are Always (24/7) Online To Help You With Your Project
Chat Us on WhatsApp » 09063590000
DO YOU NEED CLARIFICATION? CALL OUR HELP DESK:
09063590000 (Country Code: +234)
YOU CAN REACH OUR SUPPORT TEAM VIA MAIL: [email protected]
09063590000 (Country Code: +234)